Faith and Mythology: Where to begin?

I'm teaching another Sunday school class at church soon, on Faith and Mythology this time (we did faith and science earlier). So where shall I begin? Perhaps I'll post my ideas here first, just like I did last time, and see where it goes...

I love mythology. In the equivalent of junior high we had to take one fiction and one non-fiction book out of the library each week. When I realized “mythology” was classified as non-fiction I proceeded to take out two “story” books each week and pat myself on the back for beating the system. And those stories were good…
  • Greek and Roman gods with all their inter-relationships
  • Babylonian legends, older but just as fun
  • Norse sagas with their long-running histories
  • Native American tales
  • Stories of Hindu gods and goddesses…
Sometimes I even read the non-fiction introductions to the books. I learned how all cultures have a “basic human need” to “make sense” of things, and we do it through story—I suspect C.S. Lewis might call it an example of our “God-shaped hole” and remind us that in God, the stories are true and make sense. But there are other myths too, less classic perhaps, even Christian ones. What about…
  • The three kings, or an unspecified number of wise men?
  • The dank dark stable, or the stable area of a house of hospitable relatives?
  • Paul doesn’t respect women, even though he frequently mentions them having authority?
  • And then there’s those urban internet myths; the girl who goes to the store to buy a miracle and meets a neurosurgeon...
How do we decide if something is a myth, or fiction, or true? To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment