My Writing Life--the first job

Did I mention, I majored in mathematics? It's not exactly the usual path for a writer I suppose, but for a shy writer? Well, maybe. Math has the advantage that answers are either right or wrong, so perhaps I just liked having one part of my life where criticism wasn't subjective. Of course, I was still writing.

I got a job writing computer programs, which is seriously, enormously different from writing stories. But it does encourage accuracy, consistency, logic, and other such things. And it was fun. Meanwhile I penned the next version of Nalya's Sunset on cast-off computer paper, lined in pale green with all those neat perforations between pages and holes along the side. The story was beginning to take a much better shape by then and I even had plans to make it a novel.

Instead, life made me a Mum.

No comments:

Post a Comment